Scott Heidepriem has tried lawsuits in South Dakota for 37 years.
Scott graduated from the University of South Dakota, School of Law in 1980. He graduated from Harvard in 1992 with a Master's degree in Public Administration. He is a Fellow of the State Bar Foundation of South Dakota.
Scott has been listed in Super Lawyers of the Midwest Top 25, as one of the top 25 lawyers in a three state area – being one of only five in South Dakota. He has been chosen as one of the Best Lawyers in America for many years. He holds an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
The National Trial Lawyers Association selected Scott in the nation's top 100 Trial Lawyers and as the only South Dakota lawyer to be designated the title of Diplomat. Membership to the Top 100 is extended solely to the select few of the most qualified attorneys who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile. Scott is a past president of the South Dakota Trial Lawyers where he is a life fellow. Scott is a member of American Association of Justice and the American Bar Association. He is a past president of the South Dakota Board of Trial Advocates. He received his ABOTA membership in 2000.
Scott served in the South Dakota legislature for 12 years, being chosen as Speaker of the House, Pro Tempore, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Senate Minority Leader for four years. Heidepriem was chosen the Democratic Party's nominee for Governor of South Dakota in 2010.
Scott's practice is confined to civil litigation.
Scott is married to Susan. They have two sons, Sam and Peter.
Scott's e-mail address is email@example.com. Scott can also be reached by calling the law firm directly.
Areas of practice
- Complex Litigation
- Bad Faith
- Class Actions
- Federal Courts
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Pharmaceutical Products
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Fall
- State Trial Practice
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- Workers' Compensation
- Workers' Compensation Appeals
- Wrongful Death -- Plaintiff
Scott presents and teaches attorneys all over the country and has been published numerous times.
Assisted teaching environmental litigation at the University of Michigan
Law School Ann Arbor, Michigan
March 1, 2012
"Debating the Doctrine: Government Speech,"
South Dakota Law Review 2012 Symposium – Vermillion, SD
April 17, 2009
"Criminal Defense Artistry: Proficiencies & Persepectives"
State Bar of South Dakota - Sioux Falls, South Dakota
June 19, 2008
"The 2008 Legislative Session: A Work in Progress"
State Bar of South Dakota Early Bird CLE – Rapid City, SD
"Reproductive Rights in South Dakota"
Speech at Macalester College, St. Paul, MN
September 29, 2007
Young Lawyers Regional Conference - Deadwood, SD
September 11, 2007
"Taking a Medical Deposition that the Jury Can Understand,"
South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association - Rapid City, SD
July 9, 2007
"Preparing the Witness for a Deposition"
Trial Academy – USD Law School, Vermillion, SD
April 10-11, 2003
"Overcoming Juror Bias: How it Affects Your Case"
South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
April 10, 2003
"From Miller to Sioux Falls: Is There a Difference in Juries?"
SDTLA Spring Seminar, Sioux Falls, SD
April 24, 2001
"Discovery Skills for Legal Staff in South Dakota"
Lorman Education Services, Sioux Falls, SD
April 14, 2000
"Common Sense Rules to Guide Your Trial Practice"
SDTLA Spring Seminar, Trial Strategies & Techniques, Sioux Falls, SD
"Successful Trial Strategies"
Iowa Trial Lawyers Association CLE, Marina Inn, Sioux City, IA
April 17, 1998
"The Million Dollar Case"
SDTLA, Excellence in Advocacy, Practicing With the Best, Sioux Falls, SD
"Tort Reform in South Dakota: The Plaintiff's Perspective"
South Dakota Law Review, Volume 42, Issue 2 (1998) (with Nancy Turbak)
"Going Up Against the Trial Lawyer of the Year, or the Case of the Smoking Belly Button: An Adversary's Diary"
Adjunct Professor, USD Law School
Settlement & Negotiation, Pre-trial Process
November 14, 1996
"Treatment Plans: Medicate or Amputate?"
SDTLA Practice Made Easier, Anatomy of a Law Firm, Chamberlain, SD
USD School of Law, Adjunct Professor with Jonathan Van Patten
"Negotiations and Settlement"
USD School of Law, Adjunct Professor with Martha Davis & Cris Palmer
June 21, 1987
"Subrogation Issues Involving the Government, Worker's Comp, and the Tort Setting"
State Bar of South Dakota CLE, Subrogation Issues, Chair of Panel
"South Dakota's Competitive Advantage"
Annual Meeting - Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce, Calgary
December 7, 1984
"Tax Consequences of Repossession and Developments for 1984"
State Bar of South Dakota CLE, Mitchell, SD
September 18, 1981
"Age Discrimination in Employment"
State Bar of South Dakota CLE, Advising Elderly Clients, Pierre, SD
"Tort Reform in South Dakota - The Plaintiff's Perspective," co-authored with Nancy J. Turbak, Vol. 42, Issue 2, 1999, South Dakota Law Review
A FAIR CHANCE FOR A FAIR PEOPLE, A Biography of Karl Mundt, Mundt Foundation, Madison, SD, 1998
BRING ON THE PIONEERS! A History of Hand County, South Dakota, State Publishing, Pierre, SD 1978
Scott was an attorney of record in the following appeals:
- Bair v. Callahan, 775 F. Supp.2d 1163 (D.S.D. 2011)
- Stockwell v.Stockwell, 2010 S.D. 79, 790 N.W.2d 52
- Haar v. Callahan, 2009 WL 1408671 (D.S.D. 2009)
- Papke v. Harbert, 2007 SD 87, 738 N.W.2d 510
- Bird Hotel Corp. v. Super 8 Motels, Inc., 246 F.R.D. 603, 605 (D.S.D.2007)
- Johanns v. Livestock Marking Association et a;l., 544 U.S. 550, 125 S.Ct. 2055 (2005)
- Olson v. Equitable Life Assur. Co., 681 N.W.2d 471 (S.D. 2004)
- In re Arendt, 684 N.W.2d 79 (S.D. 2004)
- Kwongyuen Hangkee Co., Ltd. v. Starr Fireworks, Inc., 634 N.W.2d 95 (S.D. 2001)
- Maryott v. First National Bank of Eden, 2001 S.D 43, 624 N.W.2d 96
- Sorrels v. Queen of Peace Hosp., 575 N.W.2d 240 (S.D. 1998)
- Cramer v. Smith, 572 N.W.2d 445 (S.D. 1997)
- Himrich v. Carpenter, 569 N.W.2d 568 (S.D. 1997)
- Bruske v. Hille, 567 N.W.2d 872 (S.D. 1997)
- Dakota Cheese, Inc. v. Taylor, 525 N.W.2d 713 (S.D. 1995)
- Bell Paper Box, Inc. v. Trans Western Polymers, Inc., 53 F.3d 920 (8th Cir. 1995)
- Cournoyer v. Montana, 512 N.W.2d 479 (S.D. 1994)
- U.S. v. Hacker, 883 F.Supp. 444 (D.S.D. 1994)
- Mueller v. Zelmer, 525 N.W.2d 49 (S.D. 1994)
- State v. Sondreal, 459 N.W.2d 435 (S.D. 1990)
- Prentice v. Classen, 355 N.W.2d 352 (S.D. 1984)
- Olson v. Cass, 349 N.W.2d 435 (S.D. 1984)
- Gross v. Gross, 355 N.W.2d 4 (S.D. 1984)
- Northwest Realty Co. v. Carter, 338 N.W.2d 669 (S.D. 1983)
- U.S. v. Oakie, 709 F.2d 506 (8th Cir. 1983)
- FB & Bldg. Products, Inc. v. Superior Truss & Components, A Division of Banks Lumber, Inc., 727N.W.2d 474 (S.D. 2007)